A Little Thing Called Gluten
Gluten is always a hot topic in the Meraki Kitchen amongst our chefs and the community. We are asked A LOT about it so we thought who's better to ask than Meraki's Nutritionist, Tahlia Thomas on the ins and outs when it comes to gluten.
Here’s the rundown on gluten:
- It’s a protein that’s found in wheat, rye and barley
- For some individuals, it can cause intestinal damage. Common signs and symptoms of intolerance may include diarrhoea, abdominal pain, bloating, fatigue, poor energy, poor focus and irritability
A gluten-free diet is commonly prescribed to alleviate health complaints and improve general well-being such as increased energy, regulating bowel patterns, encouraging gut healing and helping regain balance and vitality.
Gluten-Free Diet Tips
- Focus on what you can eat, not what you can't.
- Swap gluten containing grains with GF grains
- Opt for whole foods over GF packaged foods
- Make vegetables the main part of your plate
- Consume the rainbow
- Drink water over other beverages
- Get cooking!
- Read food labels